Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

Not your circus, not your monkey. Regardless of what is just and right, it is likely that confidential won't be all that confidential, and you need your job. If visitors are scared, it is for them to report the unsatisfactory situation. They have nothing to lose - you have.

A lifetime in the world of business has taught me that the messenger always gets shot.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Agree with Nettle , even though this dog clearly is not happy and your boss is not doing the right thing by bringing him in and it is an accident waiting to happen your the one who like Nettle said can loose your job and even if you did do something what if nothing changes and you get fired so can help further?

If the visitors are that scared they should report it or complain
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yeah someone complained b4 that there were "to many dogs" .... so now he ONLY brigns in the problem child =(

i wonder if there were "to many" before..... or if it was just the one.....
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Welp it happened. not the dog i thought it would be! but because of their stupid dominance based ideas one of the therapy dogs bit someone.

this is a dog that i think legit DOES have the temperament of a therapy dog, very chill, very laid back, sleeps all day in the gym, comes up for pets from everyone.

well

not EVERYONE.

Theres one lady whos the Dog Lady. she had a stroke and has communication difficulties but she wanders the halls going from one therapy room to the next looking for dogs to pet. this dog is TERRIFIED of her. like, runs into the corner of the room with the tail tucked kind of terrified.

and our genius therapists decided it would be a great idea to DRAG him out of his corner and force him into a down so she could pet him. and he bit her.

apparently he didnt leave a mark so im guessing it was just a warning shot but still. i happen to think he was 100% justified in that. i feel so bad for this lady cause she just honestly loves animals so much. we said we had to tell the dogs owner and she said we couldnt and that if anyone asked her what happened shed lie because she doesnt want to get the dog into trouble. i feel aweful for this poor woman cause its not her fault at all. they shouldnt have forced him when he was so OBVIOUSLY terrified.

they do this with the big black one to. if any dog in therapy shows any signs of discomfort they grab their collar and haul them directly to the object of their fear and force them into a down or a sit so they can hold still while they're being pet by the object of their fear.

AGGHHHHH i hate dominance sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
JoanneF

Post by JoanneF »

Shalista wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:49 pm
if any dog in therapy shows any signs of discomfort they grab their collar and haul them directly to the object of their fear and force them into a down or a sit so they can hold still while they're being pet by the object of their fear.
I saw a video online of a man being forced to hold a snake. He was clearly petrified. It illustrates beautifully why this approach is ineffective and just wrong.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh my word! I just don't understand it. What is wrong with being nice to dogs? You have two options. a) drag terrified dog into uncomfortable position and hope they are the type to shut down rather than lash out, or b) toss some treats to tell dog scary thing isn't that bad and wait until dog is happy to interact. Why on earth would anyone choose a)? It is cruelty. Not physical, but psychological.

If this lady walks a little strangely and spooks the dogs, you could equip her with a tasty treat to hand out as she's doing her rounds. Toss it for the dogs who are really scared and ask her to move on. She sounds like the type of lady who would love working with dogs in this way.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I saw a man with two beagles in the park this afternoon. The beagles were attached to each other by an approx. 6' tether attached to their collars. It was comical to watch - the older one wanted to follow the man and was attempting to lead the younger one, the younger one wanted to go HERE! and THERE! and THERE! The older one had such a hard-put-upon long-suffering face it was hard not to find it funny.

But apart from all that tugging on theit collars, why should the man wreck the older beagle's walk by getting him to do the job the man should be doing? And, assuming the younger one's recall is useless (which given his breed and his lazy owner is almost a given) why can't he walk the younger one himself so he can sniff and explore where he wants to without having to drag his friend along - or be dragged by the friend?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

A man who owns two Border Terriers near me does the same. A chain lead links between their collars. He says one is better at recall so he keeps the other one close, but then the younger one saw a squirrel and the older one had no choice but to go too or get dragged there.

They don't seem to mind it on the whole, but Merlin did get stuck on the chain once when he tried to jump over it. The young Border paniced and started snapping at Merlin, the older Border was confused, and Merlin was squealing like a stuck pig and trying desperately to get off. Whole thing over in a few seconds (I was right next to them and pulled Merlin up, keeping grumpy Border's teeth off him). They are VERY dangerous!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Eek, that could have gone really badly, LoQ :shock:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

JudyN wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 am Eek, that could have gone really badly, LoQ :shock:
Yeah :(. Lucky I was right next to them all, if Merlin had run off to say hello and got stuck I can imagine a fear induced fight go on.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I feel like thats just a recipe to make your GOOD dog go crazy O.o i have enough trouble walking two dogs of separate temperaments on DIFFERENT LEASHES
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

And just imagine if they ran fast with one either side of a goalpost....
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*NODNOD* seeing how easy just BAX gets tangled in stuff i cant imagine having a second mini bax on the other side of HIM.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Grr. This morning. I know it is my responsibility to keep my dog under control, but why do some people do everything they can to make that really, really difficult?

We were walking along and there was a family up on the path. We were down by the river. There were some ducks pottering around the gardens (annoying people leave food in there for the rats, erm I mean, wildlife). This is near the exit of the reserve and a long way away from the lake. I was keeping Merlin occupied, but he wasn't really interested in the family anyway, nor the ducks. Then the kids in the family started to chase the ducks a bit and flail around. I called Merlin, he came, and I still kept him occupied. He wasn't that interested, just looked then went back to the river. But I thought I would keep him close and make sure his attentions were elsewhere anyway.

Then the dad just whipped out a loaf of bread and the kid started tossing it around shouting. In the middle of the field... Ages away from the lake where everyone else does it (so Merlin is always on lead there). Before I could do anything, Merlin scattered the ducks and ate the bread then jumped around the family sniffing for more. I whistled him and went to get him, apologised, but apparently I had ruined their morning... I mean, COME ON. You see a dog off lead and you think its a great idea whipping out food from absolutely nowhere and throwing it around like it's a food bonanza and you wonder why he came over!! If he had given me even the slightest bit of a chance Merlin would have been on a lead. But they went from 'walking along the path with kids looking like they were going home' to 'HERE DUCKS FEAST ON THIS!' before I could react.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Stupid people :roll: And they have a funny definition of having their morning ruined :wink: