Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Re: Vent!

Post by AliceGrimm »

JudyN wrote:I've just seen a 'funny' 'cute' video on Facebook, shared by an old online friend who has a puppy, which has given me the rage :evil: Two pug puppies in a crate with a kitten. The kitten is smaller than the pugs but not bothered by them in the slightest, whereas the pugs are backing away from the kitten in terror. A couple of times they're brave enough to bark at it, but most of the time they are cowering back into the corner of the cage, trying to hide behind each other. That's not funny, it's downright cruel.

I don't feel it would be right to comment - I tend just to lurk on Facebook and if I'm not going to comment 'Awwww' when she posts genuinely cute stuff I don't think it's right to criticise the posts I don't like. So I'm venting here instead :evil: :evil: :evil:
I have been having issues like that too.. the more I learn about dog behavior or animal behavior in general.. the more I notice the things people find funny, they don't really understand what is going on in that animals mind. I guess we people are use to applying that.. when we scare each other we can laugh it off and make it funny. But I don't think people see that in these cases for animals... it isn't oh I am scared.. it is pure terror..

Sometimes I will comment.. sometimes I will right stuff on posts I make and share of things. But I find when I put my opinion of how I see things.. others too have strong opinions. I just got in a "debate" with my cousins on whether or not their dogs think they are cats. Dogs are amazing mimickers.. and it is how they communicate with other species.. But I am pretty damn sure they know they are dog. Perhaps not the word dog.. But they are not a cat.

Netflix had this great documentary about dogs and how they have adapted to be a second hand buddy to people and how they communicate and behaviors.. I think it was called "A Dogs Life". It would be nice if society would try to listen and understand each other, and other animals.. instead of expect and assume. Sorry to jump on your vent wagon and take the wheel. ;-; But grr
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So upset right now. you may remember that bax has a nemesis, a golden that walks by that he HATES. shes always wearing a prong collar despite seeming to walk perfectly loose leashed. i've always tried to be nice and give the owners the benefit of the doubt.

today i wasnt walking with bax so i saw them out and i went over to say hi properly to her without bax charging. this is the sweetest poster child for a golden ever. doesnt jump up, just all nuzzles and wagging tail. but my GOD her coat. im used to silky soft goldens, her coat was thin, coarse, and rough. and her ears were actually dreaded. like physically dreaded and CRUSTY. like CRUNCHY ears. the only doubt i can give them is...maybe she has rampant... ear infections... in both ears... that aren't painful and dont affect her lovely personality?

that or you know, they never actually pet/groom their dog. :evil:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The poor girl :( I think I'd have said something like 'Ooh, poor girl, does she have a nasty ear infection/skin condition?' and depending on the response said something to suggest that any caring owner would be seeing the vet to get her sorted.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

oh my god she did it. my sister got another dog. poor ki must be losing his mind. purely selfishly im angry because i have bax's pottying almost nailed and now we have a new contender showing up.
Last edited by Shalista on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That sucks more than a black hole, Shalists :( I honestly think for your own and Bax's sanity you should get job hunting and move out as soon as you can. Easier said than done, I know.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Agree with that. One day this will all be history. Big hugs to you and gentle friendship to Bax.

As for poor Ki..... :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm sure there are some truly wonderful dog breeders out there but sometimes i just get so angry.

so a friend of my family recently got a corgi and she's notoriously cheap. she always wanted a corgi but deemed them to expensive until a friend told her about this breeder. Apparently, they breed championship corgis and they had this stud(?) whos testicles like, retracted so he became sterile. and they'd had him for years but rather than you know, give him the amazing retirement he deserved for siring all those puppies they locked him in a kennel and forgot about him.

story had a happy ending, friend ended up taking him (for free) and he now lives with her. he's apparently being mildly abused by being fed so much hes now morbidly obese but given where hes coming from a little extra love might be whats called for. apparently hes just the friendliest, nicest little dog and is totally in love with her and follows her everywhere.

now i dont know the whole story and im trying not to judge but if your making your living off an animal couldn't you give it a good life after its ceased to serve its purpose? i mean at least they didnt shoot him or give him up to a shelter?
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Shalista wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:18 am im trying not to judge but if your making your living off an animal couldn't you give it a good life after its ceased to serve its purpose? i mean at least they didnt shoot him or give him up to a shelter?
Nah, judge away! The dog could very well have been better off being given to a shelter so he could have found a better home earlier. But often people who make money out of animals couldn't give a toss about the animals themselves - they're just pounds, shillings and pence (which shows my age as well as my nationality...).

Though if he's morbidly obese, I'd say he's still being abused and even if he's enjoying the food now, he's not going to enjoy the side-effects when he ages, can barely walk let alone run, and his joints are in continual pain :(
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

agreed and especially since hes a corgi? they're in such high demand right now i promise you hed get snapped right up if he had been at a shelter
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i was so excited that my job has dogs at it (people can bring their dogs to hang out in the gym and say hi to the residents)....

and then i learned that my big bosses dog has started growling and charging males that come to the door. this dog is HUGE its supposedly black lab but its very jowly and leggy and looks like it has some great dane in it.

theyve decided to solve this problem by keeping it on a short lead with a shock collar AND a prong collar. cause ya know, that'll def make it happy to see men :roll: :?
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Some people really annoy me I was talking with a Golden owner as her dog was so beautiful and so well mannered and the a rude women shouts over don't stroke that dog Golden's are unpredictable :shock: :roll: why do people say these things Golden's are not unpredictable.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

never NOT gonna vent about this. we allow dogs to hang out with us i nthe therapy room.

thats great.

this dog. should. not. be. here.

hes lovely with the residents but he is HUGE(120lbs), jet black, with mastif face and he CHARGES the residents family members. basically if he knows you or your in awheelchair hes a softy. if you WALK in he charges, growling. this is a disaster waiting to happen. i KNOW hes your baby but hes clearly unhappy and stressed here and hes going to BITE someone soem day. and no the dominance based reactions and the big *** prong colar arent gonna save you.

/end rant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:shock: Is there someone you can raise your concerns with, Shalista? This really doesn't sound great for your clients and your boss should be aware. Unless it's your boss's dog of course...
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

it IS my bosses dog unfortunately.

like at the very least safety concerns aside it makes the family members uncomfortable to visit their loved ones in therapy. often they only have a limited amount of time to visit with their family before they have to leave so they come up to visit while the res works. they cant do that if they're quite literally afraid they're going to get bit.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Is there some kind of safety and health board you could anonymously report your concerns to? That is not a great situation to be in, on any side of the equation!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14