What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ZaraD

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by ZaraD »

Since having Sampson lots of people want to say high and find out what breed he is but he really hates people disturbing his walk :lol: :roll: , I just say yes you can stroke him as long as your not fond of you fingers works everytime :wink: I know he won't bite he just moved away from strangers but they don't know that and being a big black dog they never risk it.

Anyone going to watch Britains favourite dog breeds tonight on ITV? Its counting down the most beloved 100 breeds voted for by the public. Hoping to see the Giant schnauzer but don't think I will as long as the collie in the list then my mom will be happy :D
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Will tune in, though I can already guess the winner... Damn Labs!

I'm expecting Huskys, Pugs, Frenchies and all the other fashionable breeds to be up there. If I see a German Spitz, even at number 100, I'll be happy!
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am Will tune in, though I can already guess the winner... Damn Labs!

I'm expecting Huskys, Pugs, Frenchies and all the other fashionable breeds to be up there. If I see a German Spitz, even at number 100, I'll be happy!
The list from 100 to 11 has been released http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... breed.html

Frenchie was at 31 :shock: , the top 10 won't be revealed until tonight but year I think it would be the lab but the again I thought Frenchie would have been in the top 10 and I was right no Giant schnauzer :cry: . I just have this feeling that the jack Russell will be number 1. Kera said it would be nice if it was the GSD and if it's a way for the KC to see how much the public loves the GSD but wants it to improve but she knows thats just wishful thinking.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Ok so the Labrador won last night , I'd love to know what it is about labs that the nation loves them so much? And that they keep topping polls.what does a lab have that even a golden haven't got?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's more what people think they are like.

Yes they tick lots of boxes as a family dog, but few realise they are also world champion chewers all their lives, they shed hair constantly, are fixated on food, and if not properly raised they tend to charge into other dogs. None of that is a problem if only people realise and manage it. Someone has to be a complete dork if they can't train a labrador.

Of course there are health issues too, but it is easy to find healthy nice-natured labs.

All breeds have downsides. That's why it is so important that people research before they buy. But IME, most don't.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Took Mr Barkyface to the vets, and the vet wanted to keep him in for xrays. 3 weeks of intermittent skipping and general soreness that is showing no signs of improvement, though some of those weeks he was still off lead sprinting around (before we took him in, and then after the initial 3 days when the vet said it was ok for him to be off lead again).

I am sobbing my little heart out leaving him there. He was great, didn't even look back when the vet carried him out which I hope means he won't be too stressed. The vet said he still doesn't think he needs surgery due to his age and size, saying that it is highly unlikely the damage was done due to deteriorating joints. He has put on a kg though since being on really restricted bed rest, so I need to watch his weight a bit more now.

Hope all goes well, but not a very nice day for me or my child substitute. I am just holding onto the fact the vet couldn't get a positive drawer test this time. It probably means Merlin was super tense and was strong enough to resist it, but I'm telling myself it means he is healing until I'm told otherwise.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Great news! His ligament is fully healed, he just has soft tissue damage now but he can go back to his normal activity! Xray and drawer tests came back fine!

Apparently he guarded his vet cage this time (didn't when he was neutered). I don't blame him though, he's been through the ringer there. Might do some work on it with a crate at home incase he has to go back at some point, but personally I think he was just scared and over stressed.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 pm Great news! His ligament is fully healed, he just has soft tissue damage now but he can go back to his normal activity! Xray and drawer tests came back fine!

Apparently he guarded his vet cage this time (didn't when he was neutered). I don't blame him though, he's been through the ringer there. Might do some work on it with a crate at home incase he has to go back at some point, but personally I think he was just scared and over stressed.
That's fantastic news I'm so happy for you and merlin :D

Nettle- I kind of get it now why people love labs but I've been around way to many to know there not for me :wink: . So really if people did research first and knew what labs were like they wouldn't be number 1. But I agree if more people research and really get to know a breed not just read on them or see them in a movie or TV show there would be less dogs in rescue.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant news, LoQ :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

really struggling today with loving the dog i have. one of the PTs brought his ex's dog in to work today, lil chihuahua/terrier/whatever mix and he was just the sweetest thing. i ache to bring bax in but i know hed be miserable =(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Would Bax enjoy some 1 to 1 training / doggy sports? I think I remember reading he had quite the drive to kill chickens, maybe he'll blossom doing some doggy sports. Lots of people with underconfident dogs take part, so I am sure a good trainer would be well versed in helping Bax be comfortable.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Iv had Sampson now for a week if been working really hard with him he's not reactivate to cars anymore and loves riding in my car now. The gate fear is still an issue but he much better than a week ago but there's still a way to go yet but I'm taking it at his speed :D the rescue have done all there checks on him now and if he improves a bit more by next week he will go up for rehoming :cry: I'll be absolutely gutted when he does go , I really have fallen in love with him and it's likes he's been in my life forever not a week. I knew taking him on I couldn't keep him but I'm finding this part a lot harder as he's been a joy to train and it won't be the same not having his beefy breath slobbering me in the morning to wake me up :lol:
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Apparently so long as you muzzle your dog its ok to let them sprint across the park and attack other dogs leaving the other dog squealing in absolute terror... Or at least thats what a 'lovely' gentlemen thought today when his Lurcher bolted and went for Merlin. Merlin runs away, he doesn't fight back, but sooner or later his dog will end up with stitches.

I was so angry, told him to put a lead on his dog (which I had to wrestle off Merlin and bring back to him, by the way, he didn't even try and call it back), and if I ever see it off lead again he's being reported. At first he informed me that 'everyone else has their dogs off lead, why can't i?' to which I very sternly replied 'everyone elses dogs don't attack other dogs, do they?' and he then got his lead out and put it on.

We were going to end our walk there, Merlin was really shook up, but luckily he seemed to bounce back with no ill effects. He greeted some other dogs as we went round and was his usual friendly self. Going to go the extra mile with treats if he sees a black sighthound for a while just incase since it took only one bad experience with a Boxer to make him wary of flat faced dogs, and he wasn't even attacked by the boxer...

Hearing your dog scream in fear is one of the worst things you can ever hear. Absolutely heartbroken and angry in one.
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

Lotsaquestions wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 am Apparently so long as you muzzle your dog its ok to let them sprint across the park and attack other dogs leaving the other dog squealing in absolute terror... Or at least thats what a 'lovely' gentlemen thought today when his Lurcher bolted and went for Merlin. Merlin runs away, he doesn't fight back, but sooner or later his dog will end up with stitches.

I was so angry, told him to put a lead on his dog (which I had to wrestle off Merlin and bring back to him, by the way, he didn't even try and call it back), and if I ever see it off lead again he's being reported. At first he informed me that 'everyone else has their dogs off lead, why can't i?' to which I very sternly replied 'everyone elses dogs don't attack other dogs, do they?' and he then got his lead out and put it on.

We were going to end our walk there, Merlin was really shook up, but luckily he seemed to bounce back with no ill effects. He greeted some other dogs as we went round and was his usual friendly self. Going to go the extra mile with treats if he sees a black sighthound for a while just incase since it took only one bad experience with a Boxer to make him wary of flat faced dogs, and he wasn't even attacked by the boxer...

Hearing your dog scream in fear is one of the worst things you can ever hear. Absolutely heartbroken and angry in one.
I have to deal with a lot of off leash dogs in my area , Sampson's been attacked twice in a week so I drive to the safe areas to walk him now as the road I live is full of off leash dogs who are not muzzled :evil: it angers me that people don't keep there dogs on lead if they know there aggressive.

So I know how you feel. And the looks the owners give you :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

And then there's the other side of the coin - 'But your dog's muzzled, he couldn't harm mine so let him be' :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009