What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: What are you and your dogs up to today? Part 2

Post by JudyN »

This morning Jasper chose to head in the direction of the park, but on the way he stopped and told me he wanted to cross over to the other side of the road... not something he's done before, though there is a small green area a bit further along on that side of the road which I thought he must have remembered. But when we crossed over he headed straight down a little alley, only about 4' wide, that I didn't even know was there. It didn't lead to any open spaces so we wandered round the houses for a bit before going home.

What interested me was that he must have sensed this alley was there, from the other side of the (wide) road. He's surprised me before by his ability to distinguish between small public paths and alleyways and, say, private driveways. I imagine the number of people/dogs/cats etc. going up and down them leave a distinctive smell trail that marks it out as a public path, and he can sense this from some distance as if it was clearly signposted.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I'm an idiot. today was a beautiful day. not as warm as yesterday but nice. Bax was way behind me, dragging along with his ears down and his tail down. Usually he's the one pulling me. So i'm all "great, now i'm going to have to start training him to not be scared on walks. that means more treats and he's already overweight and... and.... and..."

I turned to look at him and told him "Come on! Let's go!" in a pepped up voice.

His ears go up, his tail goes up, and he whips out his best terrier business trot. He sallied forth with the best loose leash walking I've seen him do since the CGC exams. He was almost pulling me on the way back.

The on the way back he pulled across a road to go say hi to the neighbors propane delivery guy. I'm on the back end of the leash worrying about stranger danger and he's just all up in his business. I think i liked him better when he was scared of people......

Bax is a strange soul.....
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Someone asked me today if Jasper was a red setter. That's a new one for the list :lol:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I'm planning to move back into my folks house, so today I'm going to be shifting furniture around and prepping the walls for redecorating. The dogs have had a long walk this morning, been blow dried since it's soggy out there (Jack has always been good about the hair dryer since he goes to a groomer, Pixie wasn't so sure about it but is starting to enjoy it now - I'm glad her coat isn't as thick and fluffy as Jack's though.

Pixie pinched a banana from my fruit bowl, and was trotting around with it so proudly that I let her keep it. She carefully slit it open and ate the banana, a first for her! She won't get banana often though, both dogs need to lose a little weight. They're both having a little post walk snooze in my room while I have a coffee before I get started on the room.

We're working on night times now. When Pixie was neutered at 2, I stayed here for her pre and post op, and they slept in my room with me so I could keep an eye on her. They usually sleep in the living room without problems, but quickly got used to sleeping in my room while I'm here, the living room when I'm not. With the plan for me to move back here, mum wants the dogs to sleep in the living room again, and since I'll be replacing the bed with a single bed to save space, it does make sense. I'll still be letting them come in here during the day for cuddles and the odd snooze.

Jack has settled in the living room okay the past two nights, Pixie less so. She settled in the end, but complained a little and I had to go and re-settle her a couple of times. Keep your fingers crossed this goes smoothly! :D

It does feel odd to be moving back to my folks house at my age, but it'll allow me to return to work and save up much more quickly, and I'm glad for Pixie's sake. It means there's always someone at the house to take care of her, and I won't have to drop her off for doggie daycare then pick her up before and after work. I can't wait to be with her full time again. The last couple of years, I've missed her terribly while I've been at my own place where I couldn't have pets.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Shalista - a dog that size won't pull you anywhere without your consent! :lol: Just shorten the lead and keep walking.

JudyN - do you ever get asked if Jas is a wolfhound? I get asked that about mine quite often, and they are smaller than Jas! If those people saw a real wolfhound, they'd think it was a pony.

Mine have been called wolves too. They were very proud of that! (don't look remotely like wolves).
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ScarletSci, I don't know how old you are but it seems almost the norm for children to live with their parents for most of their 20s, and even beyond! DS1 is 25 and still here as he has ME/CFS, DS2 is 23 and still here as though he's in a good job, he and his GF can't afford to buy a house yet and if they rented they wouldn't be able to save up for a deposit.I could charge him rent, but then it would be longer till he can move out... Luckily we all get on well, though I'm looking forward to having a spare room one day :lol:

Nettle - yes, we're always being asked (or told :roll: ) if J is a wolfhound. If I'm feeling generous I'll tell them that they are seeing the deerhound in him. But even he looks tiny next to a wolfhound, or a deerhound!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Yeah ScarletSci I'm gonna be sticking around with my parents once i graduate. Lotta loans to pay off :cry:

Bax is heading in to the vet to get some blood work done and maybe get some anxiety meds!! *fingers crossed* (I'll def talk to him about switching foods to)
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

JudyN wrote:ScarletSci, I don't know how old you are but it seems almost the norm for children to live with their parents for most of their 20s, and even beyond! DS1 is 25 and still here as he has ME/CFS, DS2 is 23 and still here as though he's in a good job, he and his GF can't afford to buy a house yet and if they rented they wouldn't be able to save up for a deposit.I could charge him rent, but then it would be longer till he can move out... Luckily we all get on well, though I'm looking forward to having a spare room one day :lol:

Nettle - yes, we're always being asked (or told :roll: ) if J is a wolfhound. If I'm feeling generous I'll tell them that they are seeing the deerhound in him. But even he looks tiny next to a wolfhound, or a deerhound!
Um.. I'm 33 :oops:

But I first moved at at 16, and have always lived independently except for a brief stint when I returned to college and then uni and had to pay for the first course. Maintaining my flat while paying for studies and only working part time was impossible. But after my health crisis in 2013, I hadn't been able to return to work yet. I was living in a council flat, on benefits. But I'm ready to return to work now, and living here will be a lot cheaper while I save up to return to studies.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

If we're on the topic, I don't ever plan to "move out". Move us all will definitely have to happen at some point but financially it works out better to stay at home so that's the plan.

I saw a woman today when I was out with Laufey at lunch who was reading whilst walking her dog. Oh and it was raining. How do you walk a dog with your nose in a book?? :?
Erica

Post by Erica »

delladooo wrote:If we're on the topic, I don't ever plan to "move out". Move us all will definitely have to happen at some point but financially it works out better to stay at home so that's the plan.

I saw a woman today when I was out with Laufey at lunch who was reading whilst walking her dog. Oh and it was raining. How do you walk a dog with your nose in a book?? :?
My parents let us stay at our house as long as we're not just freeloading - so if we have/are looking for a job, or are in college, or are recovering from something etc. My oldest sister will be returning to the nest in a few months - she's 34. (slightly off topic but she and I don't get along at ALL. Don't know if she'll be bringing the chi she pulled from the Puerto Rican streets with her...)

Also, I used to read while walking Zeus as it was the only way I could stand walking so slowly sometimes. He moved slowly and didn't take off after things, so it wasn't like I was going to be surprised by something. :) When things happened, he would freeze.

Reading while walking the other dogs isn't an option, though :lol:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Jasper's been doing science experiments.... I found something very odd in one of his poos a couple of days ago - it was egg shaped but soft, and when I squeezed it it burst, letting out a thin liquid. After a bit of thinking and hunting on the internet I found details of what happens if you put an egg in vinegar or some other acid - the shell dissolves, leaving the membrane intact.

So I've now learnt that he's swallowing his quail eggs whole :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Awesome scientific deduction. JudyN :o Respect!

If membrane is that tough it can survive a dog digestion, shouldn't NASA be advised?

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:lol: Mind you, Jasper can't cope with any bone (which also contains a lot of calcium carbonate) more challenging than chicken, and even then it can't be free range.

Does this make him the first dog ever to lay an egg? That makes him even unique than he was already :lol:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Had the greatest romp in a very snowy field with bax today. Once again i was reminded of my tendency to focus on FIXING bax instead of just enjoying the bax i have.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great that you are thinking that way, Shalista. :)