Smart 10 week old puppy

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Smart 10 week old puppy

Post by Erica »

Well, now, looking at this video I'll have my work cut out for me! Smart puppy, great trainer, I am just amazed.

Kikopup's Lumos - 10 weeks old
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Smart 10 week old puppy

Post by JudyN »

Now I feel totally inadequate :lol:

Still, I do wonder whether this video should come with a warning: 'This won't be achievable with all puppies, so don't push your dog too hard and don't get frustrated if yours is still struggling with sit and not widdling on the carpet.' Oh, and 'Training off lead in a shopping mall isn't a great idea for most 10-week-old puppies'!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Warning should include "And no matter how good a trainer you are, the wheels WILL come off at five months or so". :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

:lol: Yeah, very good points! She does warn against repetitive motions (eg spin to the right ten times is not a good idea, but spin right twice then left twice is okay) when training a puppy but not against over-high expectations. Not in the video, mind, but in the comment and another video. Still, it shows people that their puppy is not too young to learn, which is good! It's very frustrating to meet people who say "Oh I've got a puppy but she's only four months old so we haven't started training yet."
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It depends on the training, really. I wouldn't be doing all that much "training" with a four-month-old, but instead would be going out and about with it. Apart from recall, simple retrieve, lead manners and house manners, I wouldn't look for anything else.

I wouldn't be doing most of those things shown in the video with a ten-weeker either. There is so much potential for damage. Kikopup is very experienced, but one does wonder about other people getting frustrated because their dog isn't as smart as a border collie puppy.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Apparently little repetition and no jumping for Lumos, at least not yet. On the flipside, I've seen too many Border Collies as pets that are never trained to do anything much and end up for sale at 12-18 months. :(
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

I'm with Nettle, especially about the wheels coming off..

And I worry that some people seeing that will run off to buy a candy coloured collie from the nearest breeder churning them out for those who prize appearance over substance. Or worse, from an AKC approved puppy mill.

I like BCs, even have one and will get another, but proper ones bred to work.