U.S. Military Dog Captured in Afghanistan

A snapshot of the video posted of Colonel, a military dog taken by the Taliban.

A snapshot of the video posted of Colonel, a military dog taken by the Taliban.

We’ve all become so used to seeing pictures of the Taliban and war torn Afghanistan that many people have become desensitized  to the fact that young men and women have died there and continue to put their lives at risk to keep us safe in all parts of the world.  To see this video though brings it right back to reality.

Colonel, a military K-9, is the first K-9 prisoner of war in Afghanistan. The Taliban claim to have captured him during fighting in Eastern Afghanistan last December. He is scared and confused and who knows what the future holds for him.  Let us never forget the sacrifices people make for us as well as the military dogs who save lives every day.

Video not loading? Watch here.

1. Sharon C.

February 6th, 2014 at 7:55 am

Considering how they feel about dogs, they're undoubtedly abusing Colonel even as I'm writing this, which is yet another reason why dogs shouldn't be used by the military in a country whee they're viewed by the most of the native culture as vermin..

2. darlyn sanders

February 6th, 2014 at 8:01 am

Is he alive still? Is there any chance that we could bring him home?

3. Francesca Stazi

February 6th, 2014 at 9:43 am

Ridicolous men...

4. niki french

February 6th, 2014 at 11:08 am

are the military going to get this military working dog who is a hero home to where he belongs or are they just going to forget about him because he is not human. he is so scared and brave he deserves to be saved and brought home how many more are captured that we dont know about yet. they need to be all brought home

5. Jane Denezia

February 6th, 2014 at 11:13 am

How awfull!!! I hope they treat him nice - but what are the odds of that?? :( He doesent know that he is part of a war, just doing his job!! I hope he comes back home safe!!

6. shannon

February 6th, 2014 at 11:49 am

seriouisly, is the military doing anything about this or do they think their dogs are expendable. this is heartbreaking to see................

7. Vicki Smith

February 6th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I work a no kill rescue in Michigan. I run the facebook page for this shelter and have shared Colonel's story on it. (The Noah Project) Our followers are saying that they are praying for him and want to be updated on his status. So if you could possibly do this I would appreciate it.

8. Lisa

February 6th, 2014 at 5:06 pm

is there not a video with what he is saying translated? well he looks petrified, but at least fed.....

9. Welles BAy

February 6th, 2014 at 5:39 pm

We demand the release of U.S. Military Dog Captured in Afghanistan , named " Colonel ", immediately .
    Afghanistan
    we have proof , pictures of " Colonel " held captive by Taliban.
    Release this dog to US now.
    Mrs BAy

10. Paris Permenter

February 6th, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I hadn't heard about this tragedy. Thank you for covering this important topic and for reminding us of the difficult and dangerous work these dogs and their handlers do every day.

11. Elaine Hargate

February 7th, 2014 at 2:23 am

Please tell me this poor dog isn't going to be left to its fate with these barbarians

12. Deb Huizenga

February 10th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Can we PLEASE get an update on this poor dog? I hope he's alright!

13. Maruchy

February 10th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

It absolutely sickens me to watch, I wish I knew what they were saying. I can only wonder how he's doing and if dying wouldn't be better then to deal with the abuse. God speed soldier!