Do Dogs Remember? Oh Yes They Do!

Photo: Dogs on Deployment

Photo: Dogs on Deployment

There is no question that dogs remember several aspects of their daily lives including the places they go, routes they take, activities they engage in, objects they use for those activities as well as the people they live with. Without memory not only would those activities be vastly impaired, but even some more basic things like recognizing familiar smells and people or learning new things would be impossible for them to do.

But do they easily forget people they used to know or live with – the kid that goes off to college or the family member that spends months or even years away from home because of work abroad?  Do they remember how kind and loving you were or the harsh way you spoke to them and the punishment you gave them when they did something wrong.  Do these positive and negative memories stick?

Watch this video, and if you answered yes, you will find the confirmation right here. (Video not loading? Click here.)

1. Erin James

February 2nd, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I am so pleased that there is now such a wonderful organization as Dogs on Deployment. My husband was active duty Air Force for 22 years and on more than one occasion we had to rehome a dog. I first heard about Dogs on Deployment through Facebook and I have been sharing their posts ever since. This video brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for bringing Dogs on Deployment to the notice of more people and also, thank Queen Latifah for doing so!

2. Shelley

February 2nd, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Cried then & now

3. Aila Sundelin

February 2nd, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I know my dogs know exactly where we are going, and they know when I'm coming, from blocks away

4. Silvia Washington

February 2nd, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Hi Victoria

Thank you so much for sharing Emma. When I got her she was a wild child and now after taking care of her and training her for 12 month she actually passed the service dog certification for Delta........

5. Trisha

February 2nd, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I have seen firsthand, that dogs remember! My sister moved away and my dog hadn't seen her for a year. The minute she said his name in her special "Ref" voice, I have never seen him run so fast in my life! He didn't know what to do! She sat down on the ground and he just kept circling around her because he was just so excited he didn't know what to do.

6. Patty

February 2nd, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Dogs are simply amazing and always remember their masters. Absolutely love them!

7. Jin

February 3rd, 2014 at 4:42 am

There is no doubt in my mind that dogs can remember.
    I have a friend who make a living of training police dog. He have 1, maximum 2 years with the dog, and learn it from puppy how to find money, drugs, missing things and people.
    We where on a train ride to Germany, from Denmark, and at the border, the german police, came througe the train, with this narko detecting dog.
    We where placed in the end and could see the dog come closer. When the dog came closer it got the sent of my friend, and ran strait at him. To begin with my friend did´t recognize the dog, but after like 10 secons he remembert the dog, the name, the german police man who purchased the dog. The dog wagged the tail, began to say funny noises, jumping up and down and actin like a little puppy again. The german handler just stood there at looked funny, until he recognized my friend. It was 4 years ago the german police man had purchased the dog in denmark from my friend.
    4 years!!!!! and the dog recognized my friend as was it only yesterday he left his home in Denmark with the german police man.
    They talked and the dog had found drugs the most amazing places and was one of the best dogs in the police district.
    Truly amazing witness

8. kathy

February 4th, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Wanted to say to Silvia you are an angel from God. How wonderful of you to take such special and loving care of beautiful Emma. She was blessed to be paired with you. You could see the loving she received while her Mom was serving our country. Thank You