As the images and news reports of the devastation in Mississippi and Louisiana continue to pour in, my heart goes out to those that have been affected. As a trainer and pet owner, I realize the importance of being prepared and making arrangements ahead of time should another disaster such as Hurricane Issac occur. Here are five tips to minimize the anxiety and stress that inevitably accompany such disasters if you and your pets have to be separated for a period of time.
- Plan Ahead. Have an action plan in place.
- Reduce stress on you and your pet by knowing exactly where and when you’re going.
- Bring your pet’s bedding and/or sleeping crate along with any favorite toys.
- Make sure the shelter has an abundant supply of your pet’s favorite food and treats.
- Pack an unwashed article of your clothing with your scent so they have a touch of home.