Victoria in Evening Express on Dog Evictions

Victoria was featured in a story in the October 12, 2011 issue of Scotland's Evening Express newspaper.  In the cover article, entitled "Victoria Stilwell hits out at Aberdeen dog eviction threat", Victoria argues against a ruling by a local housing association that the families with dogs should be forced  to choose between their homes and their dogs due to dog fouling incidences.

She is quoted as saying, “I think, first of all, the decision to basically ask people to get rid of their dogs is an absolute disgrace. It is like asking someone to get rid of their children. Dogs are like people’s family members.”

Read the article.

1. Lynda Jackson

October 18th, 2011 at 8:47 am

Responsible pet owners will pick up after their dogs. Responsible pet owners think of their dogs as family members. People who consistently do not pick up after their dogs are not responsible pet owners and I do not think they deserve to have a pet. If they were told they had to get rid of their dog because of this problem they would probably not lose any sleep over it. Their only concern would be with someone telling them what to do. Responsible pet owners would not be in the position of having to choose between their homes and their dogs.

2. Brenda Haggai

October 18th, 2011 at 9:06 am

It's always been a 'pet peeve' of mine that some dog owners are not responsible. Those who choose not to pick up the litter their dogs leave behind set a very bad example and cause a lot of problems for responsible pet owners here in the U.S. I have always thought that this is a main reason why so many places in America are so dog un-friendly. With that being said, I would never agree to 'rat' a person out if I knew it meant them loosing their dog. What a shame. You'd think the home owners who are responsible would get together and install an outdoor trash can and a bucket filled with bags just to save their own dogs!

3. Camp K9

October 18th, 2011 at 9:50 am

It is certainly becoming more adversarial being a dog owner with examples like this and Dog Control Orders being rolled out across the UK by local authorities and it isn't going to get any better.

4. Jacquie Dougan

October 20th, 2011 at 1:48 pm

A friend of mine has given me permission to copy and paste his post here.....Interesting.

Fraser Reid The residents should challenge this under article 8 of the human rights act. Because of that article an mp parliament managed to keep his dog in his office. Its the part of the act that allows everyone to a family and personal life.

5. Lorna

October 20th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I would have to let my house go , pets help keep us fit and happy , so to me life of my pets mean more to me than brick and roof ..................tent here I come ...................my dog is my life .............

6. Jacquie Dougan

October 21st, 2011 at 1:28 am

Fraser Reid http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2005666/MP-threatening-use-Human-Rights-Laws-beat-Westminster-dog-ban-branded-ridiculous.html. This is an article about it, but it's in the mail so they'll be saying he's a looney but the result was he won!

Merseyside Police Seize and Kill Legally Exempt Dogs

This is Breed Specific Legislation at its worst and yet another example of innocent dogs being taken away from their owners and euthanised without due process. I support law enforcement in many ways but this kind of policing is barbaric, especially when many of the dogs seized were insured, but were on the death list because of a clerical error.